Monday, May 11, 2009

MINDSET

MINDSET
On Wednesday nights our church has family training and after praise and worship the various groups are dismissed to their appointed classrooms. Taking Aubry to nursery has always been a dreaded task for myself and the nursery volunteers, because Aubry screams and flails wildly when I take him. Last Wednesday night, not wanting to ask anyone to take him for me, I walked out the door toward nursery with Aubry in tow. Aubry looked up and said “Am I going to play?”. “Yes” I responded. “Goin' to nursery?” he asked. Again I responded with “Yes”. Aubry's calmly looked up at me and said “Then I guess I'll have to cry”. That response has gone down as my favorite Aubryism, because it was without anxiety, or apprehension. I laughed so hard, because it was so totally matter of fact. He had passed the trauma of being left in the nursery a long time ago, but the mindset was still there. The tantrum had become a natural response to my leaving. It had become “the thing” to do.

This humorous story has made me realize the power of a persons mindset. I realized after closely examining my own mindset, that I have predetermined responses to events and situations....

Okay, let call it what it is: stinkin' thinkin'.

But I have to guard my joy against these kinds of thoughts. Scripture tells us how to re-set our thinking and reactions.

Proverbs 16:3Commit your works to the LORD, And your thoughts will be established.

2 Corinthians 10:5casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

Next time I am tempted to respond or think negatively regarding a situation or event, I will have to remember the instruction given by the apostle Paul:
Philippians 4:11Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

Mindset: “Oh no it's Monday”
New Mindset: “Father God, It is Monday again and I am excited about the opportunities that you have created for me this new week”.

Mindset: “I don't want to pay bills, it is to painful”
New Mindset: “God, I thank you for your many blessings, and realize that all I have is yours, so help me be a good steward of the things you have entrusted me with”

Mindset: “ARRRGHHH, Homeschooling, what was I thinking”
New Mindset: “Father you have instructed me to teach my children, when I sit in my house, walk on the road, when I wake up and when I lie down (Deuteronomy 6:7), and I thank you for the privilege that you have given me to do this”

Final words of wisdom:

Colossians 3:2Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Keep in mind that Jesus wants us to place our anxiety on Him, which means we have to have trust in Him, and this comes through a daily personal relationship with Him.

Philippians 4:6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God

1 Peter 5:7casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Don't allow your mindset to control your actions, examine them, bring them into perspective and be aware that the trauma may have passed long ago, but the natural response may still linger. So, say NO to stinkin' thinkin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment